CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

ILLINOIS CENTRAL

South of Commuter Territory to Gilman

Since 1977, University Park has been the end of the electric commuter line. Beyond University Park through Kankakee were several stations, served by local intercity passenger trains until 1953. After then, only Kankakee and Gilman remained as passenger stations. Amtrak continues to serve Kankakee and a new station south of Gilman.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago.

Exact locations are not available for all stations.


Monee (34.2) - station was likely located south of Main St.

Peotone (40.5) - station was located north of Main St., on the east side of the tracks. The station building still stands.

Manteno (46.7) - added in 1912, station was located north of Division St., on the east side of the tracks.

Kankakee (55.9) - station was located at East Ave. and Merchant St., on the east side of the tracks. Part of the station building remains in use by Amtrak.

Chebanse (64.3) - station was located north of 1st South St., on the east side of the tracks. The station building still stands.

Ashkum (73.1) - station was located south of Main St., on the east side of the tracks. The station building still stands.

Danforth (77.4) - station was located south of Jefferson St., on the east side of the tracks. The station building still stands.

Gilman (81.1) - station was located northwest of the crossing with the Toledo Peoria & Western, which in earlier years also used the station. The station building still stands.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Will County (E)
Kankakee County (E)
Iroquois County (NW)