This is of course Chicago's only electrified commuter line. Most stations were well established, even prior to the 1926 electrification, and are still in use by Metra trains.
A few stations were eventually discontinued, and are identified here.
With high level platforms and other features, this line in some respects more closely resembles a rapid transit line. Including station entrances which are more like rapid transit stations. The South Chicago Branch is double track and at grade level. And at all stations, all amenities are contained within the island platforms between the two tracks. And on the single track grade level Blue Island Branch, stations are modest.
This line thus does not have station buildings in the traditional sense. Although prior to electrification, some true station buildings did exist. Such known buildings are identified here.
Stations capitalized and without commentary are present Metra stations, further information on stations at official Metra Web Site.
STONY ISLAND AVENUE - a station building existed at the northwest corner of Stony Island Ave. and 71st St., and north of the tracks.
BRYN MAWR - a station building existed on the north side of 71st St. west of Jeffery Blvd., and north of the tracks.
SOUTH SHORE - a station building existed at the southwest corner of Yates Ave. and westbound 71st St., and north of the tracks. At the time, the station was located west of Yates Ave., later relocated east.
WINDSOR PARK - a station building existed at the southeast corner of 75th St. and Exchange Ave., and east of the tracks.
CHELTENHAM - a station building existed at the southwest corner of 79th St. and Commercial Ave., and east of the tracks. At the time, the station was located south of 79th St., later relocated north.
83RD STREET - a station building existed on the north side of 83rd St. east of Exchange Ave., and west of the tracks.
B&O Crossing - an earlier station was located at 84th St. This was the crossing of the original Baltimore & Ohio line into Chicago, which connected with the Illinois Central line at Brookdale, near where the South Chicago Branch joins the main line. That B&O line to Brookdale was later downgraded and eventually abandoned.
91st Street (South Chicago) - a station building existed on the north side of 91st St. east of Baltimore Ave., and west of the tracks. The building still stands, despite ceasing to serve as a station long ago.
93RD-SOUTH CHICAGO - replaced the 91st St. station in 2001.
The Blue Island Branch is at grade level. And being single track, it would have been simple to construct stations with traditional buildings. But present stations are rather modest. And the available Sanborn maps do not adequately convey, whether certain stations were previously more elaborate.
Washington Park (first location) - horse race track was located south of the actual Washington Park, between 61st St. and 63rd St., and between Cottage Grove Ave. and South Park Ave. (now Dr. Martin Luther King Dr.). Illinois Central had a spur from the main line, which ran along the south side of 61st. St. to reach a station near St. Lawrence Ave., half way between Cottage Grove Ave. and South Park Ave. This race track was open from 1884 to 1905.
Washington Park (second location) - horse race track was located along the west side of Halsted St. in Homewood. Illinois Central also had a spur, which left the main line at Harvey and stopped along the west side of the race track. This race track was open from 1926 to 1977.
South Shore Area
Hyde Park Area (Washington Park)