CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

ILLINOIS CENTRAL

Electric Main Line

This is of course Chicago's only electrified commuter line. Most stations were well established, even prior to the 1926 electrification, and are still in use by Metra trains. Some stations are not listed here, particularly in the suburbs, where historic information is lacking. But a few stations have interesting aspects of their histories, and are listed here.

A few stations were eventually discontinued, and are identified here.

With high level platforms and other features, this line in some respects more closely resembles a rapid transit line. Including station entrances which are more like rapid transit stations. The entire main line is grade separated, mostly elevated. And station entrances are usually nondescript and under the viaducts.

This line thus does not have station buildings in the traditional sense. Although prior to electrification, some true station buildings did exist. Such known buildings are identified here.

This line is unique, in that separate sets of tracks were provided for commuter and through trains. This made it simple for Illinois Central to sell the commuter operation in 1987 to Metra. Metra continues to operate the commuter line as a separate railroad from Illinois Central successor Canadian National. For through passenger trains, now operated by Amtrak, Homewood is now the only stop made on this line. Previously, additional stops were made by various through trains, and are identified here.

Stations capitalized and without commentary are present Metra stations, further information on stations at official Metra Web Site.


The entire main line right of way segment is elevated, except north of 47th St. which is below street level.

16th Street - prior to the establishment of the 18th Street stop, a station building existed on the east side of Prairie Ave., south of 16th St. and west of the tracks.

22nd Street - prior to the establishment of the 23rd Street stop, a station building existed on the east side of South Park Ave., south of 22nd St. and west of the tracks. South Park Ave. is now Dr. Martin Luther King Dr., and 22nd St. is now Cermak Rd. But in that immediate area, those streets no longer exist, and the McCormick Place North Building now occupies that area.

27TH STREET

31st Street - a station building existed on the east side of Lake Park Ave., south of 31st St. and west of the tracks. Lake Park Ave. no longer exists in that immediate area.

35th Street (Douglas) - a 1912 Sanborn map actually shows a "36th Street" station, where 36th St. ended east of Lake Park Ave., and west of the tracks. 36th St. no longer exists in that immediate area.

39th Street (Oakland) - a station building existed on the north side of Oakwood Ave., east of Lake Park Ave. and west of the tracks. Oakwood Ave. is actually one block south of 39th St., which is now Pershing Rd.

43rd Street - a station building existed where 43rd St. ended east of Oakenwald Ave., and west of the tracks. Through trains also stopped here until the 1940's.

47TH STREET (Kenwood) - a station building existed on the south side of 47th St., east of Lake Park Ave. and west of the tracks.

Madison Park - early station was at 50th St.

53RD STREET (Hyde Park) - Lake Park Ave. now parallels the railroad immediately to the west. But until the urban renewal of the 1950's and 1960's, there was room for buildings between Lake Park Ave. and the railroad. And a station and office building existed in this area, on the north side of 53rd St., built in 1918. Through trains also stopped here until the 1940's.

57TH STREET (South Park)

59TH STREET

63RD STREET (Woodlawn) - a station building existed on the south side of 63rd St., east of Dorchester Ave. and west of the tracks. An older building was replaced with a newer building in 1916 and 1917. South of there, with an address of 6327 S. Dorchester Ave., was the Illinois Central Railroad's accounting department office building, also constructed in 1916 and 1917. Through trains also stopped here, until the formation of Amtrak in 1971.

67th Street - station was in regular service until 1984. Platforms remain, but exclusively for transferring between main line Metra trains and South Chicago shuttle trains. And the stairways between the platforms and the street have been blocked off.

Parkside - a station building existed on the north side of 70th St., east of Kimbark Ave. and west of the tracks.

72nd Street (Essex) - a station building existed on the north side of 72nd St., east of Woodlawn Ave. and west of the tracks.

75TH STREET (Grand Crossing) - a station building existed on the north side of 75th St., east of Woodlawn Ave. and South Chicago Ave. and west of the tracks.

79TH STREET (Chatham)

83RD STREET (Avalon Park) - station previously had an entrance at 82nd St., and was named as such. A station building existed on the south side of 82nd St., east of Dobson Ave. and west of the tracks.

87TH STREET (Woodruff) - a station building existed on the south side of 86th St., east of Ingleside Ave. and west of the tracks.

91ST STREET (Chesterfield)

95TH STREET (Burnside)

103RD STREET (Rosemoor)

107TH STREET

111TH STREET (Pullman)

115TH STREET (Kensington) - a station building existed on the north side of 115th St., east of Front Ave. and west of the tracks. In recent years, a new station entrance was constructed at that same location. Through trains also stopped here until the 1950's.

130th Street (Wildwood) - station was presumably north of 130th St., as evidenced by covered up stairwell remaining in place.

RIVERDALE - a station building existed on the north side of 137th St., west of Illinois St. and east of the tracks.

New Chicago - an 1897 Sanborn map shows a station on the east side of the tracks, possibly near the location of the present Ivanhoe station. The map is vague, other than showing that the station was north of the Little Calumet River.

HARVEY - a station building existed on the east side of Park Ave. between 154th St. and 155th St., and west of the tracks. Through trains also stopped here until the 1950's.

HOMEWOOD - an earlier station building existed on the west side of Harwood Ave. south of Ridge Rd., and east of the tracks. In 1923, the station building presently used by Amtrak was constructed on Park Ave. north of Ridge Rd., and west of the tracks. This is the only station on this line still used by intercity trains.

FLOSSMOOR - a station building existed on the east side of Sterling Ave. north of Flossmoor Rd., and west of the tracks. This building was constructed in 1906, and still stands, used by a restaurant and microbrewery.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Near South
Hyde Park Area
Grand Crossing Area
Roseland/Kensington Area
Cook County Suburbs (SE)