CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

GRAND TRUNK WESTERN

Main Line-Illinois

Until 1935, this route had commuter service from Chicago to Harvey. And prior to then, some commuter trains went beyond, to Valparaiso. Between Chicago/Dearborn Station and 47th St., trains operated over the Chicago & Western Indiana, which had its own local commuter trains. Intercity trains operated until the formation of Amtrak in 1971, with Chicago Lawn, Valparaiso and South Bend the only surviving stations when passenger service was discontinued.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago.

Exact locations are not available for all stations.


Right of way is elevated from Chicago to Elsdon.

Halsted Street (5.17) - station was located west of Halsted St., on the south side of the tracks.

Racine Avenue (5.66) - station was located west of Racine Ave., on the south side of the tracks.

Ashland Avenue (6.14) - station was located west of Ashland Ave., on the south side of the tracks.

Western Avenue (7.01) - station was located east of Western Blvd., on the south side of the tracks. An 1896 Sanborn map instead shows an Oakley Ave. station, one block east of Western Ave. Station was located east of Oakley Ave., on the south side of the tracks. This was presumably before the right of way was elevated.

Morrell Park (8.17) - station was located west of Kedzie Ave., on the north side of the tracks. The CTA Orange Line now exists at that location.

Elsdon (8.84) - station was located south of 51st St., on the west side of the tracks.

Glendale (9.32) - station was located north of 55th St., on the west side of the tracks.

59th Street (9.82) - station was located north of 59th St., on the west side of the tracks. A stairway remains visible.

Chicago Lawn (10.35) - station was located south of 63rd St., on the east side of the tracks. The railroad passed over 63rd St. on a bridge at this location. After discontinuance of commuter service, this was the only active passenger station on this segment, until discontinuance of all intercity trains in 1971 with the formation of Amtrak. The station building remains, and at various times has been home to a restaurant.

Marquette Park (11.00) - station was likely located near 69th St.

Hayford (11.83) - station was likely located near 75th St., near the Belt Railway of Chicago crossing.

Ashburn (12.85) - station was likely located near Columbus Ave. and 82nd Pl., near the Wabash Railroad crossing.

Ste. Maria Cem. (13.47) - station was likely located at around 8900 South.

Evergreen Park (14.50) - station was likely located near 95th St.

Tracy Avenue (15.55) - Tracy Ave. was another name for 103rd St.

Mt. Greenwood (16.56) - station was located north of 111th St., on the east side of the tracks.

Mt. Hope (17.32) - station was likely located at around 11700 South.

Oak Hill (17.59) - station was likely located near 119th St.

Lincoln Cemetery (18.09) - station was likely located near 123rd St.

Wireton (18.60) - station was likely located near 127th St.

York Street (19.04)

Blue Island (19.55) - station was likely located near Broadway.

West Harvey (22.21) - station was likely located near Ashland Ave.

Harvey (22.98) - station was located on the west side of Broadway north of 152nd St., on the south side of the tracks.

Thornton Jct. (25.25) - station was likely located east of the Chicago & Eastern Illinois crossing.

Oak Glen (28.66) - station was likely located east of Torrence Ave.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

New City Area
Chicago Lawn Area
Ashburn Area
Mt. Greenwood Area
Cook County Suburbs (S)
Cook County Suburbs (SE)