CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

CHICAGO & WESTERN INDIANA

Until 1964, this route had commuter service from Chicago to Dolton. Intercity trains continued to use this route until 1971, discontinued with the formation of Amtrak. Although Amtrak's Cardinal and Hoosier State now use this route, making no stops over this segment. Additional railroads providing longer distance commuter service operated trains over portions of this route. The last remaining commuter service over this route was the Wabash Railroad, later Norfolk & Western. That service is now the Metra Southwest Service, by the late 1970's was no longer making intermediate stops over this segment.

Unless noted, stations remained in use until 1964.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago.

Exact locations are not available for all stations.


Right of way is elevated from Chicago to Oakdale.

Chicago/Dearborn Station (0.0)

Archer Avenue (1.7) - was a stop for certain intercity trains during early 1900's.

47th Street (4.6) - station was located between two main passenger tracks on elevated right of way, north of 47th St. The Norfolk & Western commuter train continued to stop here until the late 1970's, at the time only one train a day each direction was operated. The station was between two split parts of the right of way, and was accessed from the north side of 47th St.

55th Street (5.6) - station was actually located south of 56th St., on the east side of the tracks.

59th Street (6.1) - station was located between 59th St. and 60th St, on the east side of the tracks. Stop discontinued early 1960's.

Englewood (6.6) - station was located south of 63rd St., on the east side of the tracks, and was a stop for intercity trains. The Norfolk & Western commuter train continued to stop here until the late 1970's, at the time only one train a day each direction was operated. Parts of the station are still in place, visible from the CTA's "Englewood" Green Line.

Normal Park (7.2) - station was located between 68th St. and 69th St, on the east side of the tracks. Stop discontinued early 1960's.

Hamilton Park (7.7) - station was located south of 72nd St., on the east side of the tracks.

Auburn Park (8.7) - station was located near 78th St., on the east side of the tracks. Around that location, the Rock Island main line passed over this line, on a higher bridge.

81st Street (8.9) - station was located south of 81st St., on the west side of the tracks. Stop discontinued during 1930's.

83rd Street (9.2) - stop discontinued during 1930's.

Oakdale (10.1) - station was located south of 90th St. immediately north of Rock Island crossing, on the east side of the tracks.

Euclid Park (11.0) - station was located around 97th St.

Fernwood (11.7) - station was located north of 103rd St., on the east side of the tracks.

North Roseland (12.2) - station was located north of 107th St., on the east side of the tracks.

Roseland (12.7) - station was located south of 111th St., on the east side of the tracks.

Sheldon Park (13.2) - station was located southwest of the intersection of 114th St. and Wentworth Ave., on the east side of the tracks.

Kensington (13.6) - station was located on the west side of Michigan Ave. north of 116th St., on the west side of the tracks.

Dolton (16.6) - station was located north of Lincoln Ave., around 13900 South, and on the west side of the tracks. Until 1935, Chicago & Eastern Illinois operated commuter trains beyond Dolton, to Crete. Although there are presently proposals for Metra to develop a new commuter service along this route.

Right of way is elevated around Kensington, where line passes over Illinois Central main line at a higher level.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

New City Area
Auburn Gresham Area
Washington Heights Area
Roseland Area
Cook County Suburbs (SE)