CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD

Fort Wayne Line-Illinois

This was a major route for intercity trains between Chicago and points east. But until 1991, this route had commuter service from Chicago to Valparaiso. Several local stations existed on Chicago's southeast side. Not all of these stations were listed in the Official Guide Of The Railways, but the Sanborn maps reveal these stations.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Pittsburgh.

Exact locations are not available for all stations.


This entire right of way segment is elevated within the city of Chicago.

Archer Avenue - was a stop during early 1900's.

Englewood (461.3) - station was located on south side of 63rd St., east of the Pennsylvania Railroad/Rock Island crossing.

Park Manor - station was located on east side of Keefe Ave. north of 69th St., on the south side of the tracks. That area is now occupied by the Chicago Skyway.

Grand Crossing (458.9) - the Sanborn maps shows platforms at Maryland Ave. north of 73rd St. That area is now occupied by the Chicago Skyway.

South Chicago (455.8) - station was located on east side of Commercial Ave. north of Anthony Ave., on the south side of the tracks. That area is now occupied by the Chicago Skyway. A bricked off tunnel is still evident, formerly used to access a stairway to the platform.

East Side - station was located on north side of 100th St. west of Ewing Ave., on the south side of the tracks. That area is now occupied by the Chicago Skyway.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Grand Crossing Area
South Chicago Area