CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

CHICAGO & NORTH WESTERN (GALENA DIVISION)

Chicago/Nearby Stations

Chicago's largest commuter operation previously had many local stations within Chicago and the immediate nearby suburbs. But in 1958, many of those stations were discontinued, allowing Chicago & North Western to focus more on longer suburban commutes. Some stations were discontinued earlier. As it turns out, CTA rapid transit lines operate close to all three Chicago & North Western lines in these areas.

Discontinued stations were closed in 1958, unless noted.

Stations capitalized and without commentary are present Metra stations, further information on stations at official Metra Web Site.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago, except for stations which closed earlier.


This entire right of way segment is elevated.

CHICAGO (0.0)

KEDZIE (3.6)

40th Avenue - earlier station was located west of 40th Ave. (now Pulaski Rd.), on the north side of the tracks, and south of the locomotive shops access tracks.

Moreland - earlier station was located east of 48th Ave. (now Cicero Ave.), on the north side of the tracks.

Linden Park - earlier station was located west of 52nd Ave. (now Laramie Ave.), on the north side of the tracks.

Austin (6.7) - station was located on the south side of Lake St. between Central Ave. and Park Ave. (now Parkside Ave.), on the north side of the tracks.

Austin Blvd. (7.2) - station was located between Austin Blvd. and Humphrey Ave., on the north side of the tracks.

Ridgeland (7.7) - station was located west of Ridgeland Ave., on the north side of the tracks.

Avenue (8.2) - station was located east of Oak Park Ave., on the north side of the tracks. Stairways remain evident.

OAK PARK (8.5)

Lathrop Avenue (9.1) - station was located west of Lathrop Ave., on the north side of the tracks.

RIVER FOREST (9.7)


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Austin Area
Oak Park Area