This was a predecessor of the Baltimore & Ohio Chicago Terminal Railroad, with the main line evolving to the CSX Altenheim Subdivision. Began in 1881 as the Chicago & Western Dummy Railway, connecting with streetcar line at Madison St. and 40th Ave. (now Pulaski Rd.), and operating primarily in West End Ave. and Randolph St. west through Oak Park to River Forest. Reorganized in 1886 as Chicago, Harlem & Batavia Railway, and sold in 1887 to Wisconsin Central Railroad. Line extended south on 40th Ave. from Madison St. to main line, and commuter service introduced into downtown Chicago. In 1890 line was sold to Chicago & Northern Pacific Railroad. In 1897, line sold to Suburban Railroad, which replaced steam trains with electric streetcars which connected with the Lake Street Elevated Railroad. And in 1899, Lake Street Elevated trains began using line west of Lombard Ave. in Oak Park. Elevated train service was discontinued in 1901 in favor of the Lake Street Elevated Railroad's new South Blvd. extension. Suburban Railroad streetcar service abandoned in 1903.
Stations listed are as of 1896, prior to acquisition and electrification by Suburban Railroad. Exact locations are not available for all stations.
Madison Street - station was located north of Madison St. at 40th Ave. (now Pulaski Rd.).
Marvin - station was located east of 44th Ave. (now Kostner Ave.), on the south side of West End Ave.
Moreland - station was located near 48th Ave. (now Cicero Ave.).
Austin - station was located between Park Ave. (now Parkside Ave.) and Waller Ave., on the south side of West End Ave.
Franklin Avenue - station was located between Franklin Ave. (now Mayfield Ave.) and Howard Ave. (now Mason Ave.), on the south side of West End Ave.
East Avenue - station was located between Scoville Ave. and East Ave., on the south side of Randolph St.
Avenue - station was located between Oak Park Ave. and Grove Ave., on the south side of Randolph St.
Oak Park - station was located east of Wisconsin Ave., on the south side of Randolph St.
Conway Park - station was located west of Desplaines Ave., on the north side of Randolph St.
Waldheim - station was located west of Desplaines Ave. at Harrison St.
Harlem Race Track - station was located southeast of the intersection of Roosevelt Rd. and Hannah Ave.
From Conway Park to Waldheim Cemetery, route turned south, then turned east in Harrison St., terminating at Desplaines Ave.
From Desplaines Ave. to Harlem Race Track, route started east along main line, then turned south.
Oak Park Area