CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

CHICAGO, MILWAUKEE & ST. PAUL RAILWAY

Evanston Line

From 1885 to 1908, the Milwaukee Road operated commuter trains between Chicago and Evanston. In 1908, this operation was replaced by elevated trains, which evolved to the CTA's Red Line and Purple Line. The line north of Wilson Ave. was elevated and upgraded to today's rapid transit line. While between downtown Chicago and Wilson Ave., commuter trains operated until 1917. That line was subsequently downgraded and eventually abandoned.

As a steam operated commuter line existing at grade level, the stations had traditional buildings, which are identified by location. Where the line was converted to an elevated line, stations were generally constructed at the same locations, along with additional stations in between.


Fullerton Ave. - a station building existed on the north side of Fullerton Ave. near Lakewood Ave., on the east side of the tracks.

Lincoln Ave. - a station building existed a short distance south of the intersection of Lincoln Ave., George St., and Lakewood Ave., on the east side of the tracks.

Belmont Ave. - a station building existed on the north side of Belmont Ave. near Lakewood Ave., on the east side of the tracks.

Addison St. - a station building existed on the south side of Addison St. west of Clark St., on the east side of the tracks. Immediately north of there, the railroad passed what would be the west side of Wrigley Field, built in 1914.

Verona - a station building existed on the north side of Byron Ave. at Seminary Ave., on the east side of the tracks.

Graceland/Buena Park - a station building existed at Buena Ave. near Kenmore Ave., on the east side of the tracks.

Sheridan Park - a station building existed on the north side of Wilson Ave. between Broadway and Clifton Ave., on the west side of the tracks.

Argyle Park - a station building existed on the north side of Argyle Ave. east of Broadway, on the west side of the tracks.

Edgewater - a station building existed on the south side of Bryn Mawr Ave. east of Broadway, on the east side of the tracks.

North Edgewater - a station building existed on the south side of Granville Ave. east of Broadway, on the east side of the tracks.

Rogers Park - now the Morse CTA station.

Birchwood - a station building existed on the north side of Jarvis Ave. east of Ashland Ave., on the east side of the tracks.

Calvary - station was located on the east side of the tracks.

South Evanston - a station building existed immediately south of Main St., on the east side of the tracks.

Dempster St. - a station building existed between Dempster St. and Greenwood Blvd., on the east side of the tracks, the location of the present CTA station.

Evanston - a station building existed between Davis St. and Church St., on the east side of the tracks, the location of the present CTA Davis St. station.

Noyes St. - a station building existed immediately south of Noyes St., on the east side of the tracks.

In addition, the Sanborn maps show a few stations on the old Milwaukee Road "Bloomingdale" line, extending west from this line to "Tower A-5", which is the junction between the two present Metra Milwaukee District lines. No history is known, about any possible passenger trains which might have once existed on this line.

Milwaukee Ave. - station presumably was located on the east side of Milwaukee Ave., on the south side of the tracks.

Humboldt - a station building existed on the west side of California Ave., on the north side of the tracks.

Elsmere - a station building existed on the east side of Kimball Ave., on the north side of the tracks.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Lakeview Area
Edgewater Area
Rogers Park Area
Evanston
Garfield Park Area (Bloomingdale Line)