CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

CHICAGO GREAT WESTERN

Forest Park-Sycamore

Between Grand Central Station and Forest Park, trains operated via a Baltimore & Ohio line, which earlier had been the Chicago & Northern Pacific Railroad. The only known commuter service over the Chicago Great Western was shown in a 1901 Official Guide of the Railways, one daily round trip between Chicago and DeKalb. That train at the time also handled local traffic east of Forest Park, which until 1897 was handled by Chicago & Northern Pacific commuter trains.

Until the discontinuance of passenger service in 1956, nearly all stations listed remained in use by passenger trains. Chicago & North Western acquired Chicago Great Western in 1968, and subsequently abandoned this route.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago.

Exact locations are not available for all stations.


Forest Park (10.3) - station was located west of Desplaines Ave., on the north side of the tracks, and on the south side of Van Buren St., which paralleled the railroad to the north. Paralleling the railroad to the south was the Garfield Park rapid transit line, which eventually evolved to the CTA's Blue Line. The Chicago Great Western right of way in that area is now occupied by the north bus terminal of the CTA's Forest Park Transit Center.

Maywood (11.6) - station was located between 4th Ave. and 5th Ave. on the north side of the tracks, and south of Wilcox St.

Bellwood (13.1) - exact location unknown, but probably was a short distance west of Indiana Harbor Belt railroad overpass. At that location, the Chicago Aurora & Elgin Railroad, now the Illinois Prairie Path, paralleled to the south.

Elmhurst (16.8) - station was located east of York Road on the north side of the tracks, and south of paralleling South St. The station building has been preserved. At that location, the Chicago Aurora & Elgin Railroad, now the Illinois Prairie Path, paralleled to the south.

Villa Park (18.5) - station was located west of Villa Ave., on the south side of the track. The building still stands.

Lombard (20.9) - station was located east of Main St., on the south side of the track.

North Glen Ellyn (23.3) - exact location unknown, but probably was west of Main St., on the south side of the track.

Gretna (25.6) - exact location unknown, but probably was near Main Pl. and St. Charles Rd., west of Schmale Rd., on the south side of the track.

Ingalton (30.7) - exact location unknown, but probably was near Neltnor Blvd.

St. Charles (35.9) - station was located west of 9th Ave., near Cedar Ave., on the south side of the track.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Forest Park/Oak Park Area
Cook County Suburbs (W)
Du Page County
Kane County (SE)