CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

CHICAGO & EASTERN ILLINOIS

Dolton-Woodland

Until 1935, this route had commuter service from Chicago to Momence. Although there are presently proposals for Metra to develop a new commuter service along most of this route. After discontinuance of the dedicated commuter trains, intercity trains continued to make local stops. Local stops were discontinued during the 1940's north of Chicago Heights, and in 1950 south of Chicago Heights. Intercity trains operated until the formation of Amtrak in 1971, with Chicago Heights, Momence, St. Anne, and Watseka the final stations.

Milepost locations are indicated, distance from Chicago.

Exact locations are not available for all stations.


Dolton (16.6) - station was located north of Lincoln Ave., around 13900 South, and on the west side of the tracks.

South Holland (19.5) - first listed in 1911. The Sanborn maps show station as located north of 159th St., on the east side of the tracks. Probably really 162nd St. Throughout many of Chicago's south suburbs, 159th St. is a main road, US Highway 6. But in South Holland, US 6 is 162nd St.

Thornton (21.7) - station was located south of Margaret St., on the east side of the tracks.

Glenwood (23.4) - station was located north of Main St., on the east side of the tracks.

Chicago Heights (26.6) - station was located south of 16th St., on the west side of the tracks.

26th Street (27.8) - listed as a stop in South Chicago Heights for local trains during the 1920's and 1930's. But no Sanborn map has been found showing a station here.

29th Street - only listed during the 1910's decade, replaced with 26th Street. A 1911 Sanborn map shows a station here, three blocks south of 26th St. Station was located on the west side of the tracks, where 29th St. ended.

Steger (28.8) - an early station was located north of 34th St. (Steger Rd.), on the east side of the tracks. A later station was located south of 34th St., on the west side of the tracks. That later station still stands.

Crete (30.4) - station was located north of 1st St., on the east side of the tracks.

Goodenow (34.2) - station was likely located north of Goodenow Rd., on the west side of the tracks.

Beecher (37.6) - station was located on Reed St. south of Hodges St., on the east side of the tracks. The station still stands.

Grant Park (44.7) - station was located at the northeast corner of Taylor St. and Main St., on the west side of the tracks.

Momence (49.9) - station was located north of 4th St., on the west side of the tracks.

St. Anne (60.1) - station was located southeast of the crossing with the New York Central/Big Four, which also used the station.

Watseka (77.5) - station was located southeast of the crossing with the Toledo Peoria & Western, which in earlier years also used the station.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Cook County Suburbs (SE)
Will County (E)
Kankakee County (E)
Iroquois County (E)