CHICAGO'S LOST STATIONS

CHICAGO BURLINGTON & QUINCY

Chicago-Aurora

This major commuter route between Chicago and Aurora has a long rich history, with many classic old stations still in use by Metra trains. But a few stops were eventually discontinued, including several early stations within Chicago.


Canal Street - a 1914 Sanborn map shows 15th Pl. and 16th St. existing east of Canal St., street segments which no longer exist. Canal St. passes over the railroad in that area. Also existing east of Canal St. between 15th Pl. and 16th St. was a "Depot St.", where a passenger station existed north of the Burlington tracks.

Douglas Park - an 1896 Sanborn map shows a station building on the south side of the tracks west of Kedzie Ave. A 1923 Sanborn map also shows a building there, but does not identify it as a station.

Millard Avenue - an 1896 Sanborn map shows a station building on the south side of the tracks, between Millard Ave. and Lawndale Ave.

42nd Avenue - an 1896 Sanborn map shows a station building on the north side of 24th St. east of 42nd Ave. (now Keeler Ave.), and on the south side of the tracks. A 1909 Sanborn map also shows a building there, but does not identify it as a station.

Morton Park - in Cicero, was near 52nd Ave. (now Laramie Ave.) and 26th St., existed until 1940's or 1950's.

Clyde - in Cicero, existed as a Metra stop until 2007. In that area, the Cicero freight yard is along the south side of the main tracks. Before the yard was extended into that area, a station building existed on the south side of the tracks at Garfield Ave. (now 59th Ct.). In its final years, station platforms were accessed via the Austin Blvd. viaduct.

Eola - until 1974, certain trains made stop at Eola Road, which at the time was a grade crossing west of the present Eola Road overpass. Station was located east of Old Eola Road, on the south side of the tracks.

Scraper Works/Austin-Western - until 1974, certain trains made stop at factory on east side of Aurora, east of Farnsworth Ave. on the south side of the tracks. The factory closed in 1978.

Aurora - prior to 1923, the station was located at the east corner of New York St. and La Salle St., on the north side of the tracks. In 1923, track elevation resulted in the opening of a new station at Broadway and Washington St., south of downtown Aurora. In 1986, this station was replaced by the present the Aurora Transportation Center, and was demolished in 2013. Amtrak trains also had stopped at this station, but were shifted to Naperville due to the stub nature of the new Aurora Transportation Center tracks.

All listed stations are on elevated rights of way except Eola, and possibly Aurora prior to 1923.


MAPPING THE STATIONS

Locations of stations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Lawndale Area
Cook County Suburbs (SW)
Du Page County
Kane County (SE)