This official Web site of the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District, operator of the South Shore Line, includes present information and past history of "America's Last Interurban". This line opened in 1904 as the Chicago Lake Shore & South Bend Railroad, renamed in 1925 to the Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad, and acquired by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District in 1989.
Included is a current track diagram, lists of stations, crossings and junctions, mileposts, number of tracks, and signal systems.
In 1993, the old 1920's electric cars were finally replaced with modern equipment. Additional cars have been acquired in recent years to accommodate ridership growth.
Cars acquired in the 1920's, when the South Shore Line was modernized was converted from its orignal 6600 volt AC system to the current 1500 volt DC system. This enabled compatibility with the newly electrified Illinois Central commuter line, allowing through operation into downtown Chicago.
Complete information for today's railfan, including roster information.
Contemporary photos along the line.
From 1926 to 1963, bus service was operated connecting with the trains, to Benton Harbor. Not so well known, are various other bus operations associated with the South Shore Line.