Many of these old car houses appear to be still standing, including 29th St., 18th St., Chestnut St., Shelby St., and 7th St.
A portion of the 18th and Walnut car house was modified in 1923 to accommodate the first buses, operated by Louisville Railway Co. subsidiary Kentucky Carriers. The 29th St. and Broadway car house started housing trolleybuses in 1936, and diesel buses in 1940.
In 1947, a new trolleybus garage building was constructed south of the Avery Ave. car house. And in 1952, the 18th St. and Walnut St. garage was closed, with buses moved to the 29th St. and Broadway garage. And in 1957, a new replacement garage was constructed a block west of the 29th St. and Broadway garage, on the north side of Broadway. The new garage later became identified as the Western Division. While the 4th St. and Avery St. garage, now housing motor buses, became identified as the Southern Division. The Southern Division was closed in 1972, leaving all buses based at 28th St. and Broadway.
In 1979, a new garage was constructed out of the old Louisville Union Station, replacing the garage at 28th St. and Broadway. Address is 1000 W. Broadway.
TARC has no central downtown transfer point, with different routes operating over different downtown streets.