The present route numbering system was adopted in 1954. Four streetcar lines were discontinued in 1930, without bus replacements. Two of those lines were previously through routed with other streetcar lines, which continue to survive as numbered bus routes.
Route 11, in parentheses, was eventually combined into route 43. Additional routes in parentheses were originally created as extensions of streetcar routes. And after the conversion of those streetcar routes to buses, the bus extensions were combined into the main converted bus routes.
Not included are routes serving Indiana. On 1/31/83, TARC introduced four rush hour express bus routes between downtown Louisville and points in Indiana, and assumed operation of the one local bus route operating in the New Albany and Jeffersonville area. TARC initially numbered the local route 72, and subsequently divided the route and linked the segments with routes 2 and 22.
Route Route Name Streetcar Buses Notes Number (Segment/Former Route Name) Or New Bus Introduced Bank-West Jefferson Streetcar 6/21/30 No bus replacement Brook Streetcar 6/30/30 No bus replacement 2 2nd St. Streetcar 12/29/46 (Crittenden) New Bus 5/20/41 Was Route 34 (Jeffersonville) TARC Bus 1/31/83 Indiana 4 4th St. Streetcar 5/ 1/48 6 6th St. Streetcar 9/21/41 (7th St.) Streetcar 1930 No bus replacement (Taylor) Streetcar 9/21/41 (11) Portland-Shelby Streetcar 12/28/45 Now Route 43 12 12th St. Streetcar 11/20/32 (Slevin) Streetcar 6/30/30 (15th St.) Streetcar 1930 No bus replacement 15 Market Streetcar 3/23/42 Trolleybus (Brownsboro) New Bus 9/12/26 Was Route 36 (Veterans Hospital) New Bus 1/ 2/52 Was Route 35 17 Bardstown Streetcar 10/27/40 (Fern Creek) Interurban 12/28/33 Blue Motor Coach (Buechel) New Bus 1938 Newberg Bus Line 18 Preston Streetcar 12/28/45 (Okolona) Interurban 5/ 5/31 Virgil Pierce bus line 18 18th Streetcar 12/28/45 (Valley Station) Interurban 8/17/35 19 Muhammad Ali (Walnut) Streetcar 1/17/37 Trolleybus (Crescent Hill) Streetcar 12/27/36 Trolleybus (Cane Run) New Bus 8/ /43 Was Route 32 (La Grange) Interurban 8/10/35 Chaudoin Bus Lines 21 Chestnut Streetcar 10/28/45 (Barret) Streetcar 10/28/45 (Norris) New Bus 9/ /25 22 22nd St. New Bus 4/21/48 (New Albany) TARC Bus 1/31/83 Indiana 23 Broadway Streetcar 11/24/40 25 Oak Streetcar 12/26/45 (Lexington) New Bus 9/ /25 27 Hill New Bus 1924 (41st/44th) New Bus 9/12/26 29 Eastern Parkway New Bus 5/ 8/40 (Highlands) New Bus 7/22/23 (St. Matthews) New Bus 1940's 31 Shelbyville New Bus 1940's (32) Cane Run New Bus 8/ /43 Now Route 19 (34) Crittenden New Bus 5/20/41 Now Route 2 (35) Veterans Hospital New Bus 1/ 2/52 Now Route 15 (36) Brownsboro New Bus 9/12/26 Now Route 15 40 Taylorsville Interurban 11/29/32 Blue Motor Coach 43 Poplar Level New Bus 1950's Blue Motor Coach (Portland-Shelby) Streetcar 12/28/45 Formerly Route 11 (44) St. Regis Park New Bus 1953 Blue Motor Coach/disc. (59) River Road Interurban 10/31/35 Paxton/disc. 2010As the interurban railway lines were discontinued, replacement bus service was usually provided by independent bus companies, which eventually became part of the publicly owned TARC. The only Louisville Railway Co. bus route replacing an interurban railway, was an extension of the 18th St. route. After conversion of the main 18th St. streetcar route to buses, the extension was combined into the main converted bus route.
The only interurban railway line not to evolve to a TARC bus line was the line to Shelbyville. Competing bus service between Louisville and Shelbyville had already been operated by Southeastern Greyhound Lines, when the railway line was discontinued.
Because of the World War II conservation efforts, streetcars returned to the Market route effective 11/15/42, and on 6th St. north of Hill St. effective 1/10/43. 6th St. buses continued to operate south of Hill St. on the Taylor Blvd. segment. The Taylor Blvd. segment was originally a branch of the 4th St. route, revised to link with the 6th St. route upon to conversion to buses effective 9/21/41.
Effective 9/23/45, trolleybuses returned to the Market route, and buses returned to the 6th St. route, operating through to Taylor Blvd.
All trolleybus segments were replaced with motor buses effective 5/6/51.
The Middletown route was originally created by the Louisville Railway Co. as the St. Matthews Express route. In October 1953, Louisville Transit Co. extended the route to Middletown, replacing service which had been provided by Southeastern Greyhound Lines, and by Blue Motor Coach Co. between 8/15/48 and 1/13/51.
The Blue Motor Coach Co. was formed in 1932 to replace some interurban railway lines, and acquired the Virgil Pierce bus line in 1935.
Paxton Bus Line replaced an interurban railway line in 1935, and was later succeeded by Goebel's Bus Line, and finally Prospect Bus Line.
Chaudoin Bus Lines replaced an interurban railway line in 1935, and in 1945 was sold to Kentucky Bus Lines. Also operated was a line through Okolona and Shepherdsville, ending in Paducah.
The Buchel Bus Co. was originally the Newberg Bus Line, and was acquired by the Louisville Transit Co. in 1958.
All independent bus companies eventually became part of the publicly owned TARC.
Electric Interurban Railways In Southeastern United States
Includes further information on the interurban railways radiating from Louisville.