RACINE TRANSIT HISTORY

1883 - Horse car service introduced by Belle City Street Railway Co., using narrow gauge track.

1892 - Streetcar system electrified and converted to standard gauge.

1897 - Acquired by The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Co., reorganized as subsidiary Belle City Electric Co. The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company was controlled by the North American Co.

1899 - Merged into The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Co.

1922 - First bus route introduced.

1938 - Company reorganized as Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transport Co.

1939 - Racine transit operation sold to Racine Motor Coach Lines, Inc.

1940 - Streetcars discontinued.

1947 - Racine Motor Coach Lines sold to Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad.

1962 - Racine Motor Coach Lines sold to Lakeshore Transit Racine, Inc.

1968 - Lakeshore Transit Racine discontinues operations, and Flash City Transit begins operating buses in Racine.

1975 - Flash City Transit acquired by city as Belle Urban System (B.U.S.), operated under contract by Taylor Enterprises, Inc., formed by owner of Flash City Transit.

1996 - Ryder/ATE begins operating B.U.S. under contract.

1999 - Ryder/ATE acquired by First Transit.

2004 - Professional Transit Management begins operating B.U.S. under contract.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site