1899 - Indiana Electric Railway Co., Elkhart Goshen & Southern Railway Co., South Bend Street Railway Co., General Power & Quick Transit Co., and South Bend & Elkhart Railway Co. consolidated into Indiana Railway Co. New interurban railway opens between Mishawaka and Elkhart later that year, resulting in a single company operating all electric railways from South Bend through Mishawaka and Elkhart to Goshen.
1903 - Chicago & South Shore Railway Co. opens interurban railway line between Michigan City and La Porte.
1903 - Interurban line opens from South Bend to Niles, Michigan, operated by Indiana Railway Co. subsidiary South Bend & Southern Michigan Railway Co.
1905 - Indiana Railway Co. combined with Chicago & South Shore Railway Co., forming Northern Indiana Railway Co.
1906 - South Bend & Southern Michigan Railway Co. line completed from Niles to St. Joseph, Michigan.
1907 - Northern Indiana Railway Co. sold to Chicago South Bend & Northern Indiana Railway Co., although the system would continue to be known by the public as "Northern Indiana".
1908 - Interurban railway line completed between South Bend and La Porte.
1910 - St. Joseph Valley Traction Co. opens interurban line between Elkhart and Bristol. From 1910 to 1912, and from 1917 to 1918, line leased by Chicago South Bend & Northern Indiana Railway.
1918 - St. Joseph Valley line abandoned.
1934 - All interurban railway service abandoned, replaced with buses.
Schedules of Northern Indiana Railway interurban lines, from the August 1923 Russell's Official Eastern States Railway Guide. These scanned images may take a while to download.
In 2009, it became possible once again to travel between South Bend and Elkhart, when the growing local bus system in Elkhart extended a route to Mishawaka, where a connection is available with a local South Bend bus.
In 2015, the "Transit Triangle" began operating interurban bus service in La Porte County, connecting Michigan City, La Porte, and Westville.