1893 - Chicago & North Shore Street Railway Co. completes electric streetcar line from Irving Park Road in Chicago to Emerson St. in Evanston. Line mainly used Evanston Ave. (now Broadway) within Chicago, and connected at Irving Park Road with the North Chicago Street Railroad Co. The North Chicago Street Railroad Co. operated a horse car line south of Irving Park Road to Diversey Ave. and Clark Street, which in turn connected with the Clark Street cable car route into downtown Chicago.
1896 - North Chicago Street Railroad Co. horse car line electrified, through streetcar service from Evanston extended south to Diversey Ave.
1897 - Evanston Electric Railway Co. completes line north of Emerson St. to Central St. and Bennett Ave.
1899 - Chicago Consolidated Traction Co. incorporated, and acquires Chicago & North Shore Street Railway Co. and Evanston Electric Railway Co.
1906 - North Shore & Western Railway incorporated, connecting Evanston Railway line with Glenview Golf Club. This company had ties with the Golf Club.
1910 - County Traction Co. incorporated, acquiring Chicago Consolidated Traction Co. trackage outside the city of Chicago. Chicago Consolidated Traction Co. had owned trackage both in Evanston and in the western suburbs. Through service between Evanston and Chicago discontinued, with passengers required to transfer at city limits at Howard Street.
1913 - Evanston Railway Co. formed to acquire the County Traction Co. operations within Evanston. The Chicago and West Towns Railway Co. meanwhile was formed to acquire the County Traction Co. operations in the western suburbs.
1921 - Niles Center Transit Co. begins operating bus service, mostly in suburb of Niles Center (now Skokie).
1923 - Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad acquires Niles Center Transit Co.
1924 - Evanston Bus Co. begins operating bus service in Evanston.
1929 - Niles Center Transit Co. sold by Chicago North Shore and Milwaukee Railroad, becomes Evanston and Niles Center Bus Co.
1930 - Evanston Bus Co. merged into Evanston and Niles Center Bus Co.
1935 - Streetcar service replaced with buses.
1937 - Evanston Railway Co. merges with Evanston and Niles Center Bus Co., to become a new Evanston Bus Co.
1973 - Evanston Bus Co. ceases operations after a lengthy strike. CTA started operating routes in Evanston, subsidized by the city, as at the time there was no suburban agency fit to assume operations. Nortran (formerly United Motor Coach Co.) eventually assumed certain other routes in the area, now part of Pace North Shore and Northwest Divisions.