The former car house was closed in 1987 and demolished, evidence of the foundation still remains at the southeast corner of that intersection. The new Gary Public Transportation Corp. garage is at 2101 W. 35th Ave., on the south side of the street.
For the interurban lines, car houses existed at South La Porte (Goshen South Bend & Chicago Railroad Co.), Lottaville (Gary & Southern Traction Co.), Goodrum (Valparaiso & Northern Railway), and Hobart (Gary Hobart & Eastern Traction Co.). In 1927, the Goodrum car house was replaced by a new car house in Valparaiso.
The car houses at Lottaville, Hobart, and Valparaiso still stand, used for other purposes. Also standing is the Public Service Building, at the northeast corner of 11th Ave. and Broadway in Gary. This was the headquarters for Gary Railways.
The Lottaville car house is on the east side of Taft St., north of the CN/GTW tracks. The Hobart car house is south of 3rd St., a few blocks west of Main St. and a river bridge. And the Valparaiso car house is on the west side of Calumet Ave., north of the CN/GTW tracks. Another interesting building still standing is the Woodville substation, on the west side of Calumet Ave. (Old State Hwy. 49), south of the bridge over the CSX/B&O tracks. The substation has been adapted into a home.
As of 1952, there existed a Gary-Hobart-Valparaiso Transit, with a garage at 107 Indiana Ave. in Valparaiso. The "V-Line" bus service began operations in 2007, after a long absence of transit service in Valparaiso. V-Line is based at 760 W. Lincolnway, in Valparaiso.