UNION BUS DEPOT, 1157 S. Wabash Ave.
From 1928 until 1953, the main Greyhound station in Chicago was the Union Bus Depot, located south of downtown. Also using the station were various independent bus companies, partnering with Greyhound. Most notably, Indian Trails and Indiana Motor Bus.
GREYHOUND DEPOT, 170 N. State St.
In addition to serving the Union Bus Depot, Greyhound and its partner companies made a courtesy stop, at a centrally located storefront station southbound on State St. between Lake St. and Randolph St. Buses departing for southerly locations would generally make the courtesy stop before serving the Union Bus Depot. Buses arriving from the south did not make the courtesy stop. Buses to and from northerly and westerly locations, made the courtesy stop after departing or before arriving the Union Bus Depot.
GREYHOUND TERMINAL, Clark St. and Randolph St.
From 1953 until 1989, Greyhound used its centrally located terminal in downtown Chicago. The terminal featured an underground bus dock area, which connected directly with Lower Wacker Drive.
In addition, several suburban bus companies operating downtown used the Greyhound Terminal. But by the 1970's, those companies were simply making street stops, typically on Michigan Avenue downtown. And later that decade, as the Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) was formed, most of those suburban lines were instead connecting with outlying CTA rapid transit lines.
GREYHOUND STATION, 630 W. Harrison St.
In 1989, Greyhound moved to a modest new terminal, at the edge of downtown and closer to the area expressways.
NATIONAL TRAILWAYS BUS DEPOT, 20 E. Randolph St.
From 1936 until 1987, the various Trailways companies used this downtown terminal, across the street from the Marshall Field's store. Trailways never had the major presence in Chicago that Greyhound did, and its terminal was accessed via regular downtown streets.
Until the opening of Greyhound's downtown terminal in 1953, the central location of this terminal gave Trailways one advantage. In addition, several suburban bus companies operating downtown used the Trailways terminal. But some of those carriers moved to the Greyhound terminal after its opening.
DELUXE MOTOR STAGES DEPOT, 24 E. Roosevelt Rd.
This Trailways predecessor had established this storefront station a short distance from the Union Bus Depot. Until 1950, Trailways buses generally made a courtesy stop, presumably to enable connections with the Greyhound buses serving Union Bus Depot. From 1950 to 1952, the courtesy stop was made across the street at 31 E. Roosevelt Rd.
ALL AMERICAN BUS DEPOT, 514 S. Wabash Ave.
All American Bus Lines was a Trailways predecessor, renamed American Buslines in 1946 and then became part of the Trailways system. This station was closed in 1949, with operations consolidated into the main Trailways station.
ALL AMERICAN BUS DEPOT, 174 N. State St.
Downtown courtesy stop for All American Bus Lines, across an alley from the Greyhound courtesy stop. This stop was eliminated in 1946.
DELUXE MOTOR STAGES DEPOT, 746 S. Wabash Ave.
Deluxe Motor Stages of Illinois was a Trailways predecessor, and served this station until 1942.
Photos of remaining evidence of bus stations.