WAUKEGAN-NORTH CHICAGO TRANSIT FACILITIES
CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES
Present and past.
The Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad's main shops were located in Highwood. But a car house existed in North Chicago west of Sheridan Rd. and north of 22nd St., and was in service at the end of streetcar operation in 1947.
In the early days of bus operation, buses were housed at an annex to the North Chicago car house. Eventually, all buses were based at a garage at 1400 W. 10th St., in Waukegan. That bus garage lasted into the Pace era, and in 1987 was replaced by a new garage at the same location, now the Pace North Division.
Links to garage locations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.