Evanston's first streetcar line in 1893 was a through line from Chicago, operated by Chicago & North Shore Street Railway Co. The original 1893 car house was located in Chicago on Evanston Ave. (now Broadway) at Ardmore Ave. The address now would be 5847 N. Broadway. When the Devon car house opened in 1901, most Evanston runs were transferred to Devon, and all remaining runs vacated Ardmore the following year. Ardmore was used by Chicago Surface Lines and CTA as a bus garage between 1937 and 1943, and between 1945 and 1950. The building still stands, and is pictured.
Chicago & North Shore Street Railway Co. became part of Chicago Consolidated Traction Co. in 1899, and the new Devon car house opened in 1901 at 6454 N. Clark St. Devon housed the Evanston runs until 1910, when separate Chicago and Evanston streetcar systems were formed. Devon continued to house Chicago streetcars until 1957, a police station now occupies that location.
In 1914 the Evanston Railway Co. completed its car house, located at 1201 Central St., east of Asbury Ave. The car house first housed buses in 1924, and served as the Evanston Bus Co. bus garage until its demise in 1973. A condominium complex now occupies that location.
Since 1973, when the CTA started operating bus routes in Evanston, the routes have been based at the CTA's North Park Garage, at 3112 W. Foster Ave. in Chicago.
The Glenview Bus Co. was based at 953 Washington St. in Glenview. Although in its final years the company was based at 2355 Waukegan Rd. in Northbrook, sharing a garage with the Henkels & Lechtenberg school bus operation.