ELGIN TRANSIT FACILITIES

CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES

Present and past.


In Elgin, one car house existed from the time electric streetcars were adopted in 1890, until the elimination of streetcars in 1934. The car house was located at 238 and 240 S. Grove Ave. south of Lake St., near the east bank of the Fox River.

As of 1952, Elgin City Lines had a bus garage located at 222 S. Grove Ave., a short distance north of the old car house. National City Lines did eventually build a new garage at 573 N. Crystal, northwest of downtown. That garage was used by the Elgin Department of Transportation until 1989, when the present Pace River Division garage opened at 975 S. State St., in South Elgin. The garage at 573 N. Crystal still stands, used by the city of Elgin. While a riverboat casino complex now occupies the entire block on Grove Ave. where the former facilities were located.

CAR HOUSE/BUS GARAGE LOCATIONS

Links to garage locations, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.

Transit Facility Photos

In order to research for this page, a road trip to the Fox Valley was needed. Included are photos from that trip.