In 1890, the successor Aurora Street Railway established a car house for electric streetcars, located at the northwest corner of Water St. and Benton St., south of downtown near the east bank of the Fox River. But as the area became too congested during the 1920's, it became necessary to relocate the car house. In 1925, the new car house opened on River St. near 1st St., south of downtown near the west bank of the Fox River.
For the interurban line, a small car house existed in Geneva, east of 3rd St. immediately north of the Chicago and North Western Railroad main line. The present Metra station in Geneva is immediately west of 3rd St., and the location of the car house apparently is now occupied by Metra station parking.
As of 1952, Aurora City Lines was listed as located at 610 Broadway. The interurban Aurora-Elgin Bus Line, also owned by National City Lines, was also listed at that location. In 1974, the city owned Aurora Transit System moved to a newer garage located at 649 S. River St., a few blocks south of the 1925 car house location. That garage was replaced in 1994 by the present Pace Fox Valley Division garage at 400 S. Overland Dr., in North Aurora. The city of Aurora continues to use the 649 S. River St. garage for various purposes.
Joliet-Aurora Transit Lines was based at 135 N. Trask St. in Aurora.
Transit Facility Photos
In order to research for this page, a road trip to the Fox Valley was needed. Included are photos from that trip.