MICHIGAN CITY/LA PORTE TRANSIT FACILITIES

CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES/TRANSIT CENTERS

Present and past.


The original car house in Michigan City was possibly near Wabash and Second St. In 1907, a new car house was constructed on Superior St., east of Franklin St. The Michigan City car house was in use until the end of interurban service in 1934. Local streetcars in Michigan City were housed there until their discontinuance in 1932. The building was subsequently used for other purposes, though much of the building was eventually destroyed by fire. Parts of the building remain standing, southwest of the intersection of Harrison St. and Maple St.

As of 1952, Michigan City Transit Lines was providing local bus service, with a garage at 4th St. and Huron St. Michigan City Transit presently uses the municipal garage at 1801 Kentucky St.

La Porte had a car house on Pine Lake Ave., north of town., originally constructed in 1903 by the Chicago & South Shore Railway. But in 1907, the La Porte operations were consolidated into the Superior St. car house in Michigan City.

From 1918 to around 1934, the first bus company operating in La Porte was the Jahns Bus Co. A bus station was known to exist on Lincoln Way, but the garage location is unknown. From 1938 to 1956, Maple City Lines operated local buses in La Porte, as of 1952 they were based at Philadelphia St. and Ridgeway St. Presently, the city operated TransPorte is based at 102 L St.


MICHIGAN CITY TRANSIT FACILITY LOCATIONS

LA PORTE TRANSIT FACILITY LOCATIONS

Links to locations of past and present transit facilities, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.