HAMMOND/EAST CHICAGO TRANSIT FACILITIES
CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES
Present and past.
The Hammond Whiting & East Chicago Electric Railway Co. had its car house at Sheffield Ave. and Gostlin St. The car house was constructed in 1896, and was in use until the end of streetcar operations in 1940. The building still stands, on the southeast corner.
The Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. was located at 4923 Columbia Ave. The building still stands in the east side of the street, used by a small industry.
The present Hammond area Regional Bus Authority operations are contracted to First Transit, operating from a lot at 2237 Summer St., on the north side of the street.
East Chicago Transit bases its buses at the municipal garage at 5400 Cline Ave., west of the expressway there.
Links to locations of past and present transit facilities, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.