ELKHART TRANSIT FACILITIES
CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES/TRANSIT CENTERS
Present and past.
In Elkhart, the original car house was on East Jackson St. Coinciding with the opening of the Elkhart to Goshen interurban line in 1898, this car house was replaced with the new Dunlap car house, halfway between Elkhart and Goshen. And in 1907, Dunlap was replaced with Elkhart's final car house, located on South Main St. at Lusher, northeast of that intersection. Although Dunlap was used for storage until it was destroyed by a windstorm in 1913. The Elkhart car house was in use until the end of interurban service in 1934. Local streetcars in Elkhart were housed there until their discontinuance in 1931. The building remained standing until the early 2000's. Now it is a vacant lot.
At present, Elkhart's "Interurban Trolley" uses fake trolleys, which are seen at the downtown Elkhart transfer point near the Elkhart County court house. Hopefully these will the only time, that photos of fake trolleys are included on this Web site.
Links to locations of past and present transit facilities, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.