FORT WAYNE TRANSIT
Official Web site of the Fort Wayne Public Transportation Corporation.
In 1968, the Fort Wayne Public Transportation Corporation became responsible for all transit lines in the Fort Wayne area. The last streetcars ran in 1947.
In 1872, the Citizens Street Railroad Co. introduced horse car service in Fort Wayne. For many years, the streetcar system was part of the Indiana Service Corporation, which also operated interurban lines in the area.
Map showing streetcar system at its peak.
Many of today's bus routes in Fort Wayne have histories which can be traced back to streetcars, and even horse cars.
Streetcars operated in Fort Wayne until 1947.
Buses have operated in Fort Wayne since 1917.
The various carhouses in the Fort Wayne area were eventually replaced with a single modern bus garage.
Some information for this page is from "Fort Wayne and Wabash Valley Trolleys", the Central Electric Railfans' Association (CERA) Bulletin 122, by George K. Bradley.
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site