These bus companies in 1963 were acquired by the Bi-State Development Agency. Many of these bus operations had evolved from the electric railways operating in the East St. Louis area.
Brown Motor Lines - initially a World War II contract carrier. Operated between Alton and St. Louis, replacing Illinois Terminal Railroad Co. service in 1953. Controlled by Citizens Coach Co. (below).
Citizens Coach Co. - began operations in 1936, operating local service in Alton. Replaced Illinois Terminal, which had replaced streetcars with buses in 1932.
Community Coach Co. - began operations in 1942 as Nameoki Transit Co., operating in Granite City area. Quickly renamed Community Coach Co. In 1958 began operating between Granite City and St. Louis, replacing Illinois Terminal Railroad Co. service. Also in 1958 acquired local bus routes in Granite City which had been operated by Illinois Terminal Transportation Co., the bus subsidiary of Illinois Terminal Railroad Co.
Wood River & Alton Bus Lines - began operations in 1919, served Alton, East Alton, Wood River, Roxana, Edwardsville, Cottage Hills, Rosewood Heights, Bethalto.
Benld Cities Service Bus Co. - began operations in 1943 between East Alton and Litchfield.
Benld-Wilsonville Transportation Co. - began operations in 1922 between its namesake cities, and later extended from Wilsonville to Gillespie. In 1945 acquired by Lone Star Bunker Hill Bus Co.
Coleman Bus Co. - began operations in 1943 between Panama and Roxanna.
Grafton Bus Lines - during 1950's operated between Grafton and East Alton.
Greenville Bus Co. - from 1943 to 1946, operated between Greenville and East Alton.
Hardin Bus Line - began operations in 1948, served Pearl, Kampsville, Hardin, Jerseyville, Alton, East Alton.
Hillsboro Transit Co. - as of 1952, served Hillsboro, Edwardsville, vicinities.
Loehr Bus Co. - began operations in 1943 between East Alton and Girard.
Lone Star Bunker Hill Bus Co. - began operations in 1942 from Gillespie via Bunker Hill to East Alton. In 1945 acquired Benld Cities Service Bus Co. and Benld-Wilsonville Transportation Co. Evolved to Cavallo Bus Lines, which continues to exist as charter operator.
Palmyra Bus Line - during 1950's operated between Springfield and East Alton.
John Pearce Bus Service - began operations in 1943 between Carlinville and East Alton.
Shipman Bus Lines - began operations in 1944 between Shipman and East Alton.
Staunton-Livingston Motor Transportation Co. - began operations in 1920, operated between its namesake cities and to Alton.
Watson Bus Lines - began operations in 1944 between East Alton and Alton and Mt. Olive.