EAST ST. LOUIS AREA
Official Web site of St. Louis Metro.
In 1963, the Bi-State Development Agency assumed operation of all transit lines in the St. Louis area. And in 2003, the Bi-State Development Agency was renamed Metro. The last local streetcars ran in East St. Louis in 1935, and the last interurban trains ran in 1958, although a new light rail line opened in 1993.
Official Web site of Madison County Transit.
In 1980, Madison County Transit assumed operations of buses in the Alton and Edwardsville and Granite City areas.
Photos of the new light rail line extending from Illinois across the Mississippi River into downtown St. Louis, and northwest to the Airport.
EAST ST. LOUIS TRANSIT HISTORY
Various companies operated the streetcars, interurban trains, and buses throughout history.
Map showing electric railway system at its peak.
PREDECESSOR BUS COMPANIES
Prior to the public takeover and unification, 11 independent private bus companies operated in the East St. Louis area.
Partial rosters of buses.
The various car houses in the East St. Louis area were eventually replaced with a single modern bus garage. Although Madison County Transit was formed later as a separate agency.
Jon Bell's Rail Transit Pages/St. Louis MetroLink
Vandalia Bus Lines
Onetime suburban operator continues to exist as charter operator, including contract service for Amtrak.
Some information for this page is from The Central Electric Railfans' Association (CERA) Bulletin 99, "The Smaller Electric Railways of Illinois".
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site