EAST ST. LOUIS TRANSIT HISTORY

ST. CLAIR COUNTY

1872 - East St. Louis Street Railway Co. begins horse car operation in East St. Louis.

1874 - Citizens Horse Railway Co. begins horse car operation in Belleville.

1891 - East St. Louis Electric Street Railroad Co. incorporated, and acquires and electrifies East St. Louis Street Railway Co.

1892 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. incorporated, and begins consolidating various electric railways in the area.

1893 - Belleville Electric Railway Co. incorporated, and acquires and electrifies Citizens Horse Railway Co.

1896 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. opens electric railway between East St. Louis and St. Louis, over the Eads Bridge.

1897 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. opens first electric line between East St. Louis and Belleville.

1898 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. opens a second electric line between East St. Louis and Belleville, which would become the main suburban interurban passenger line. The original line would become an electric freight line.

1899 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. extends line from Edgemont to Collinsville.

1901 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. opens suburban interurban line between East St. Louis and Collinsville.

1902 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. extends line from Collinsville to Edwardsville.

1902 - East St. Louis Railway Co. incorporated and acquires East St. Louis Electric Street Railroad Co., as subsidiary of East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co.

1902 - Belleville Electric Railway Co. acquired by East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co.

1903 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. extends line from Edgemont to Lebanon.

1912 - East St. Louis Columbia & Waterloo Railway Co. opens suburban interurban line connecting its namesake cities.

1922 - East St. Louis & Suburban Co. incorporated, owning Alton Granite & St. Louis Traction Co., East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co., and East St. Louis Railway Co. East St. Louis & Suburban Co. controlled by North American Co.

1925 - Blue Goose Motor Coach Co. incorporated, acquired by East St. Louis & Suburban Co. as a subsidiary.

1928 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. discontinues electric railway service between Edgemont and Collinsville and Edwardsville, and between Edgemont and Lebanon. Replacement bus service operated by subsidiary Blue Goose Motor Coach Co.

1930 - Blue Goose Motor Coach Co. discontinues bus route between Edgemont and Collinsville and Edwardsville. Collinsville-Edwardsville Bus Co. assumes service between those two cities, but would cease operations the following year.

1932 - East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. discontinues remaining electric railway service, local streetcar service in East St. Louis and Belleville, and interurban service from St. Louis to Belleville and to Collinsville. Local buses serving East St. Louis and Belleville would be operated by subsidiary Blue Goose Motor Coach Co., while buses between St. Louis and Collinsville would be operated by newly formed Vandalia Bus Lines.

1932 - East St. Louis Columbia & Waterloo Railway Co. rail service discontinued, replaced with buses operated by affiliated St. Louis Red Bud & Chester Bus Co.

1933 - Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co. assumes operation of local buses in Belleville.

1933 - Illinois Traction Co. discontinues local streetcars between Granite City and East St. Louis, replacing them with buses operated by subsidiary Illinois Terminal Transportation Co.

1935 - East St. Louis Railway Co. discontinues local streetcars and buses.

1936 - National City Lines forms bus subsidiary East St. Louis City Lines, to operate bus service in East St. Louis.

1937 - Illinois Traction Co. interurban railway operations reorganized, officially renamed Illinois Terminal Railroad Co.

1940 - St. Louis Red Bud & Chester Bus Co. sold to Gulf Transport Co.

1963 - All 15 public transportation providers in St. Louis/East St. Louis area become part of publicly owned Bi-State Transit System.

1993 - Metrolink light rail line opens from St. Louis into East St. Louis, over the Eads Bridge.

2001 - Metrolink line extended east of East St. Louis to Belleville.

2003 - Bi-State Transit System renamed Metro.


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site