TRANSIT FACILITIES IN DAYTON
CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES
Present and past.
When the Miami Valley Regional Transit Authority took over the City Transit Co. in 1972, City Transit operated out of two garages, which had formerly been streetcar facilities. Western Garage was a former City Railway Co. facility located at 212 S. Western Ave. (now James H. McGee Blvd.). And Bolander Garage was a former People's Railway Co. facility located at 764 W. Stewart St.
In addition, the other companies operating streetcars in Dayton previously had their own car houses or bus garages. The Oakwood Street Railway was at 1620 S. Brown St. And the Dayton & Xenia Railway Co. was at 801 Watervliet Ave.
After the MVRTA takeover in 1972, Bolander was closed, and all operations were consolidated into Western. In 1978, the new garage opened at 600 Longworth St. The Western facility still stands, on the east side of what now is James H. McGee Blvd.
The main downtown bus terminal is located at 4 S. Main St., on the east side of the street.
Links to locations of past and present transit facilities, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.