Official Web site of the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District.
In 1971, the Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District became responsible for all transit lines in the Champaign area. The last streetcars ran in 1936, when National City Lines acquired the transit system.
In 1863, the Urbana Railway Co. introduced horse car service between Champaign and Urbana. For many years, the streetcar system was part of the Illinois Power & Light Co., which also operated interurban lines in the area. In 1936, the streetcar system was sold to National City Lines, which converted the system to buses.
Map showing streetcar system at its peak.
Buses have operated in Champaign and Urbana since 1925.
The various carhouses in the Champaign/Urbana area were eventually replaced with a single modern bus garage.
Some information for this page is from The Central Electric Railfans' Association (CERA) Bulletin 99, "The Smaller Electric Railways of Illinois".
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site