TRANSIT FACILITIES IN CHAMPAIGN/URBANA
CAR HOUSES/BUS GARAGES
Present and past.
The Illinois Power & Light Co. car house was located on Tremont St. near Neil St. in Champaign, and was opened in 1892. Later, the Champaign-Urbana City Lines bus garage was located at 501 N. 5th St. in Champaign. In 1975, the new CUMTD garage opened at 803 E. University Ave. in Urbana. And a newer garage opened later at 1101 E. University Ave. in Urbana.
The short lived Kankakee & Urbana Traction Co. had a car house located at 210 N. Market St. (now Broadway) in Urbana.
The main CUMTD bus terminal is the "Illinois Terminal", located at 45 E. University Ave. in Champaign, on the south side of the street. This is an intermodal facility located a short distance south of the old train station. The facility also serves Amtrak and Greyhound.
Links to locations of past and present transit facilities, using Google Maps. Satellite views are also available.