Official Web site of the Stark Area Regional Transit Authority.
In 1971, the Stark Area Regional Transit Authority became responsible for all transit lines in the Canton/Stark County area. The last streetcars ran in 1931.
In 1884, the Canton Street Railway Co. introduced horse car service in Canton. For many years, the streetcar system was part of the Northern Ohio Traction & Light Co., which also operated interurban lines from Cleveland through Akron and Canton, and points south.
Map showing streetcar system at its peak.
Many of today's bus routes in Canton have histories which can be traced back to streetcars, and even horse cars.
Streetcars operated in Canton until 1931.
Buses have operated in Canton since 1923.
The various carhouses in the Canton area were eventually replaced with a single modern bus garage.
Some information for this page is from "The N. O. T. & L. Story", the Central Electric Railfans' Association (CERA) Bulletin 109, by James M. Blower and Robert S. Korach.
Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site