EAST ST. LOUIS TRANSIT HISTORY

PRIVATE BUS COMPANIES

ST. CLAIR COUNTY/ACQUIRED BY BI-STATE

These bus companies in 1963 were acquired by the Bi-State Development Agency. Many of these bus operations had evolved from the electric railways operating in the East St. Louis area.

Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co. - began operations in 1933, acquiring interurban service between St. Louis and Belleville and local service in Belleville from Blue Goose Motor Coach Co. (below). Originally known as Centralia-Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co., but by 1938 renamed Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co., after discontinuing a route which had extended east to Centralia. Operated east to Carlyle until 1941, when that route was sold to O'Fallon-Belleville Coach Co. (below). Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co. tried to expand again in 1941 by acquiring a route from St. Louis to Sparta and Du Quoin from St. Clair Bus Line Co. That route had operated since 1926. But by 1945 only intercity segment was from St. Louis to Sparta, and that segment was sold in 1949 to Dixie Greyhound Lines. After then, focused on local service in Belleville, along with route into St. Louis, and route to Scott Air Force Base which was acquired in 1940 from Superior Motor Bus Co. (below). By 1948, subsidiary Belleville Suburban Bus Lines was operating a route between Belleville and Swansea.

Caseyville Bus Line - began operations in 1942 with route from Caseyville through Collinsville to East St. Louis, and also with routes to Washington Park and Hollywood Heights, and later Belleville.

County Coach Co. - began operations in 1944 as Belleville-Red Bud Coach Co., acquiring route from Gulf Transport Co., which in 1940 had acquired route from St. Louis Red Bud & Chester Bus Co. (below). Route operated from St. Louis to Waterloo and Chester. In 1949, acquired route from Belleville to Carlyle from O'Fallon-Belleville Coach Co., discontinued by 1956. In 1955 acquired route from Belleville to Millstadt from Baltz Motor Bus Co. (below). By 1956, Belleville-Red Bud Coach Co. renamed to County Coach Co., operating only from Belleville to Smithton and to Millstadt. By 1962 acquired route from Belleville to Mascoutah from Baltz Motor Bus Co. (below).

East St. Louis City Lines - began operations in 1936, operating local service in East St. Louis, owned by National City Lines. Replaced East St. Louis Railway Co., which had replaced streetcars with buses in 1935.

Industrial Bus Lines - began operations in 1943, transporting defense workers between Lebanon and East St. Louis. By 1955 acquired routes of St. Clair Transit Lines, which had begun operations in 1942 as Millstadt Bus Lines, renamed in 1943 to Millstadt Line Bus Co., and by 1950 renamed St. Clair Transit Lines. That company served East St. Louis, Alorton, Monsanto, Maplewood, Cahokia, Centerville, Pearl Harbor.

O'Fallon-Belleville Coach Co. - began operations in 1940 between its namesake cities, acquiring route from Superior Motor Bus Co. (below). In 1941 extended service to Scott Air Force Base and Mascoutah. From 1941 to 1949 also operated route from Belleville to Carlyle, acquired from Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co. In 1949, that route was sold to Belleville-Red Bud Coach Co. which was a predecessor to County Coach Co. (above)

Vandalia Bus Lines - began operations in 1932, acquiring route between St. Louis and Vandalia from Blue Goose Motor Coach Co. (below). Vandalia Bus Lines eventually operated local bus service in Collinsville, and around 1960 acquired Davis Transportation Co. which in 1944 began operating between Collinsville and Edwardsville. After takeover of metropolitan service by Bi-State, continued to operate intercity service from St. Louis to Effingham at least into the 1970's.


ST. CLAIR COUNTY/EARLIER BUS COMPANIES

These earlier bus companies subsequently evolved to the above bus companies, acquired in 1963 by the Bi-State Development Agency.

Baltz Motor Bus Co. - affiliated with Belleville-Millstadt Bus Line, began operations in 1922 between those towns, sold 1926 to M-B Bus Line Co., sold 1955 to Belleville-Red Bud Coach Co. which was a predecessor to County Coach Co. (above). In 1931 acquired route between Belleville and Mascoutah from Superior Motor Bus Co. (below), sold 1962 to County Coach Co. (above).

Blue Goose Motor Coach Co. - began operations in 1925 with interurban service between St. Louis and Belleville and local service in Belleville, acquired that same year as a subsidiary of East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. In 1928 replaced interurban railway service from St. Louis to Collinsville and Edwardsville, and to Lebanon. In 1930 absorbed The Red Line Motor Co. (below). In 1930 segment from Collinsville to Edwardsville sold to Collinsville-Edwardsville Bus Co., which continued in operation for one more year. In 1932, route from St. Louis to Collinsville sold to newly formed Vandalia Bus Lines (above). And in 1932, route from St. Louis to Lebanon sold to Midland Trail Bus Line, which in 1934 became part of Capitol Greyhound Lines which formed a route from St. Louis to Washington DC. Dissolved in 1933, with remaining interurban service between St. Louis and Belleville and local service in Belleville sold to Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co. (above).

The Red Line Motor Co. - began operations in 1920 with local service in Collinsville, and interurban service between St. Louis and Greenville via Collinsville. Acquired in 1925 as a subsidiary of East St. Louis & Suburban Railway Co. Extended in 1926 from Greenville to Vandalia. In 1927 acquired Herzog Motor Bus Transportation Corp, which in 1922 had introduced bus service between Edwardsville and Glen Carbon, route discontinued in 1930. In 1930 consolidated into Blue Goose Motor Coach Co. (above), routes sold in 1932 to newly formed Vandalia Bus Lines (above).

St. Louis Red Bud & Chester Bus Co. - began operations in 1924 with route from Waterloo to Chester, initially connecting with East St. Louis Columbia & Waterloo Railway Co. interurban line. Service extended from Red Bud to Belleville in 1926. Route extended north into St. Louis after interurban railway was discontinued in 1932. Route sold in 1940 to Gulf Transport Co., and in 1944 to Belleville-Red Bud Coach Co., around 1956 renamed County Coach Co. (above).

Superior Motor Bus Co. - began operations in 1921 with routes from Belleville to O'Fallon, and to Mascoutah and Nashville. In 1925 acquired Belleville-Scott Field Motor Bus Co., likely operating between those points since World War I. Also in 1925 extended route west to St. Louis, and from Nashville to Centralia. In 1927 sold this longer distance route to Egyptian Transportation System, which in 1934 became part of Dixie Greyhound Lines. But in 1930, segment between Belleville and Mascoutah returned to Superior Motor Bus Co., resold in 1931 to Baltz Motor Bus Co. (above). Dissolved in 1940, with O'Fallon route sold to newly formed O'Fallon-Belleville Coach Co. (above), and Scott Field route sold to Belleville-St. Louis Coach Co. (above).


Go to Chicago Transit & Railfan Web Site